Gracie's Favorite Fly Products

Riding Warehouse

Administrator
Unimpressed with the fly products you used last season? Or perhaps you have been playing around with the thought of changing up a few fly protection routines but need a little inspiration. In this blog piece, RW crew member Gracie dives into her favorite fly products and why they work for her. Get a little guidance this season on new fly sheets, masks, repellent and more.

-----------------------------------

Spending my days on an 80-acre ranch in Lockwood, California makes fly control pretty difficult. In the late spring and summertime, it is a place where 110-degree weather meets a lot of pesky bugs, mix that with two horses that have extremely sensitive skin and you get my battle during fly season. I compete in multiple barrel racing organizations including TSBRA, WCBRA and Xtreme barrel racing, which has me spending my summers traveling all around California, Nevada, and Arizona. I need fly products I can trust whether at home trail riding or on the road competing. I value fly products that I can trust and know won't irritate my horses.

158580525289847051.jpg

All Natural and Efficient: Zephyr's Garden Fly Spray

Zephyr's Garden is my go-to when looking for something that is natural but also efficient. My horses have extremely sensitive coats so finding a product that doesn't irritate them and is effective is key for me in fighting off flies and other irritating bugs. It has a nice natural herbal smell and leaves my horses coats shiny. I would highly recommend this fly spray for any horses that have sensitive skin.

Keeping Them Off the Face: Cashel Fly Mask

The Cashel Crusader fly mask is a great option for keeping those pesky bugs off. My horses are pretty rough on their fly masks so finding one that is durable and fits perfectly is important. The Cashel fly masks have lasted me multiple seasons with only a few minor tears. An added feature to this fly mask is that it blocks up to 70% of UV rays. Yay, no more burnt noses! With soft mesh that doesn't rub and double velcro locking security, these are the perfect option to keeping those pesky bugs off the face.

Staying Comfortable on the Trails: Cashel Riding Gear

The Quiet Ride fly mask is great for trail rides when flies won't leave my horse alone. My favorite features about this mask are that it is made of translucent mesh making it truly easy for my horse to see and has soft seams to prevent any rubbing. The first time I used the mask on the trails it made quite the difference, I was literally mind blown. I have a happy horse and I can enjoy my trails this summer knowing that my horse is comfortable.

More Than Just a Fly Sheet: Kool Coat Fly Sheet

With so many fly sheets on the market, it's hard to pick one that fits the budget and is high in quality. The Kool Coat Airstream is the perfect mix between UV protection and cooling technology, all while helping to keep the bugs off. This sheet has mesh panels and offers breathable material with coverage. My horses have shred through sheets in the past, but I have been extremely happy with the durability of the Kool Coat. They are a great option for hot summer days in turn out or at an event.

Healing Powers: Zephyr's Garden Fly Repellent Salve

Having sensitive horses has led me to Zephyr's Garden, and their salve is just as impressive as their fly spray. It keeps flies off any bothersome areas and helps a healthy wound healing cycle. I use this long-lasting natural fly repellent daily as it helps repel any dirt and water, so I know my horses will remain protected.

FullSizeR.jpg

Trap Them In: Starbar Fly Trap

Barn fly control is so important and can be the make or break aspect of your fly control plan. The Starbar fly trap can catch thousands of flies and disposes of easily. I hang mine in all parts of the barn and in my turn out covers, but you can hang it from any wall, ceiling or overhang. It has a built-in irresistible flying insect attractant and is safe around any barn pets. It is affordable and the safest option for fly control in the barn.

Don't Forget Yourself: Rescue Fly Repellent Clip

Often times we end up so focused on our horse, we forget about ourselves. Insects can distract you and make it hard for you to enjoy your ride. The Rescue GoClip is a new favorite of mine, it is infused with all-natural essential oils so it doesn't smell like bug spray. It has a resealable pouch that allows the clip to be used multiple times so I can use it every fly season when bugs are unbearable.

Last edited by a moderator: