Micah's Secret to Voluptuous Locks

IMG_1704.JPG

Looking to discover the secret to attaining those luxurious locks? RW crew member Micah, owner of the beautiful Gypsy stallion, Phoenix (pictured above), reveals her hair care routine below.

Let me introduce you to Phoenix, my 11-year-old Gypsy stallion who is affectionately known as “Cousin It.” His lovely thick locks are the reason why I am always on the hunt for the best hair care products. Although I am continuously researching what is new to the market, I thought it would be a great opportunity to share what I have as my favorites so far.

IMG_2445.JPG

Me and Phoenix aka "Cousin It" - our specialty is Western Dressage!

IMG_2476.JPG

Dressed to impress at the Gilmore Memorial Dressage Show! PC: Laurel Renz

Washing the Locks and Feathers

Gypsies have heavy feathering that can lead to ongoing and detrimental problems such as grease and fungus. After trying different products over many, many baths, we have found that the Eqyss Micro-Tek Shampoo is the best fit for us! Not only does it smell great, but it also cuts through the grease with ease and leaves his feathers soft and clean. When we are not showing, I follow up with the Eqyss Micro-Tek Topical Fungal Spray to help keep his legs healthy. However, I prefer not to use the fungal spray when we are away from home as it can attract dirt and therefore does not create the best look for his white feathers.

IMG_1712.JPG

Those voluptuous locks don't maintain themselves! PC: April Visel

Washing the Body

For washing the rest of him I love the EquiFUSE line! At first I was skeptical and didn’t think it would live up to the hype, but to my surprise it does all that it says and more. A little of the shampoo goes a long way and leaves his coat feeling healthy and not stripped. I use the Rehydrinse all over to condition as he comes out so fluffy and soft - I love it! If his mane and tail need some extra moister, I like to use the Healthy HairCare Horse Moisturizer Concentrate in between washes. The concentrate does tend to attract dirt, so again I just use it at home. White hair horse problems…

IMG_0019.JPG

Seriously...keeping him looking so lovely is an art form!

Let's Talk Detanglers

On the topic of detanglers, I have tried so many because I am super picky about the texture. I am not a fan of that greasy, slippery feeling that some detanglers leave on your hands and horse. Currently, my top two are the EquiFUSE Gleam Moisturizer + Shine Serum and my most recent find, the Knotty Horse Apricot Oil Treatment and Detangler. They both soak in nicely and don’t leave any weird residues. Although the EquiFUSE does seem slipperier than the Knotty Horse, they both detangle pretty quickly. The Apricot oil, omega fatty acids and vitamins A & E in the Knotty Horse has been helping one of my other Gypsies with dry hair so I keep them both on hand (I also love the Knotty Horse for me)!

IMG_0004.JPG

Phoenix - the bachelor of the horse world! PC: April Visel
Thanks to Micah and Phoenix for revealing their hair care secrets! Visit us online at ridingwarehouse.com to learn more about any of the bathing and care tools listed above.

Comments