Horseware Ice-Vibe Boots: Combining Ice and Vibration Therapy

Stilts-kisses.JPG

In this review, RW customer Margaret reviews the Horseware Ice Vibe Boots. Combining the effects of cooling and massage therapy into one convenient system, these boots are a great choice for supporting your horse’s recovery.

Although not from a traditionally horsey family, Margaret started riding lessons at 6 years old, and quickly became obsessed. Throughout her life, horses have always been there, and she feels lucky to have been surrounded by incredible horse people. She has successfully competed through USEA Preliminary-level eventing and USDF First Level dressage, now pursuing a Bronze Medal in dressage and continuing to event when the stars align. When not at the barn she manages her business, Mythic Landing Enterprises LLC, a full-service marketing and business management company based in Maryland.

---------------------------------------------

Stilts – My Special Horse

SVPC-Mike-McNally-2017.jpg

I’ve had my OTTB “Stilts” for six years now, and in that time we’ve done a little bit of everything. I’m a lifelong eventer, so that has been our focus, and in our first three years together he successfully went from a gawky 4-year-old failed racehorse to a confirmed Preliminary-level powerhouse. Since our successful move up to Preliminary, we’ve expanded our horizons and competed in USDF dressage shows through First Level, and are currently working on our flying changes so that we can try for our Bronze Medal next year.

Throughout this time, Stilts has always shown up to work each and every day. My typical answer when someone asks me how Stilts is doing is to say, “He’s perfect.” I know just how lucky I am to have such a special horse in my life, which is why I do everything within my power to keep him sound, healthy and happy.

A little over a year ago, we discovered that Stilts has some arthritis in his left knee. In addition to prescribed medical treatments performed by my vet, it was recommended that I ice his knees after hard workouts. The problem is that most companies don’t make ice boots that are tall enough to cover my 17.2h horse’s knee. This is when I was pointed in the direction of Horseware’s Ice-Vibe Knee Boots, and after a bit of research into equine ice therapy, I decided to order a pair from my favorite online tack store, Riding Warehouse.

Ice-Vibe Boots Became a Staple

IceVibe-stall.jpg

I’ve used the boots for several weeks now and they have quickly become a staple of Stilts’ post-workout routine. While Stilts’ knees are the focus of my concern, I want to ice his entire legs along with his hooves. To do so, I’ve created an easy system where I place the Ice-Vibe wraps with my traditional ice boots on top, effectively extending therapy from his hoof to above his knees. Not only does this ensure that my entire horse’s leg is iced, but it helps the knee boots stay up. If there is anything less than perfect about these boots, it’s that they tend to slide down when used on their own. In my case, I like to ice the entire leg anyway, so it’s not really an issue, but if you only want to ice your horse’s knee you might need to apply a polo or standing wrap to ensure things stay securely in place.

One of the convenient features I like most is the timer on the vibration insert. My chosen therapy method is to ice for 20 minutes, remove the ice for 20 minutes, and then repeat icing for a second 20-minute session. The boots have a 20-minute timer option, so keeping track of the therapy routine is incredibly easy.

The vibration unit is easy to charge, and the boots come in their own travel case making it quick and simple to throw in my cooler before a show. When not traveling, the ice packs are small and easily stored in the barn fridge.

I’m really pleased with this purchase and can highly recommend any of the Horseware Ice-Vibe boots to those who want to help keep their horse’s legs in the best possible shape.

You can now find the Horseware Ice-Vibe Knee Boots at RidingWarehouse.com. Happy riding!

Comments